This week, our column features bygone Barnoldswick with a nostalgic view of Old Westgate, circa 1953. This excellent picture from the past is from the vast and varied archive of the late Alan Spencer, who captured much of our area’s post-war years with a wonderful flair and consummate skill.
The shop on the left was Dawson’s General Stores for many years and, note on the shop’s wall, the evocative enamel signs depicting Lyon’s Tea, Rinso soap powder and Colman’s starch. In the shop window are signs for Brooke-Bond Tea and Craven “A” brand cigarettes.
Seen on the left at the bottom of Cavendish Street is a splendid Victorian gas lamp, all of which today have been replaced by modern electric lights.
A street scene from almost 60 years ago and the way of life in West Craven and indeed, all of Great Britain, was another world compared to today.