A Nelson party house described as “horrendous” and “terrible” by neighbours has been shut down by magistrates.
Nelson police’s application for an anti-social behaviour house closure order at 52 Whitehall Street was given the green light by the bench at Burnley Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
On hearing the news that the three month closure was sanctioned, neighbours breathed huge sighs of relief after months of fearing going out and enduring sleepless nights.
One Whitehall Street resident who wished not to be named, said: “When they came outside shouting and bawling at each other, it was terrible.
“There was 18 to 20 people in that house at a time. I’m so glad. It’s made my day, I’ve never been so happy in my life.”
Another, who also wanted to remain anonymous, added: “I’m thrilled, it’s been horrendous. It was starting early in the morning and going through to two, three or four the morning after. And they always had a can in their hand.”
Owner of 52 Whitehall Street, John Lythgoe (41), admitted in court there had been “disruptive behaviour” and didn’t contest the police’s evidence.
But he had asked magistrates to not make the order so he could complete renovation work to the house and then let it to a “vetted family”.
Chris Keogh, representing the police in court, had told magistrates that Lythgoe had run that argument to the police in early September, but a number of people had continued to come and go and treat the property as their own.
Mr Keogh said the closure would send a “very clear message” to others and “would provide immediate respite for residents.”
Police say the anti-social behaviour peaked in July and as well as drinking and noise at all hours of the day, there had been fighting in the streets.
This meant children couldn’t play out and neighbours had to keep windows closed throughout the summer with some even moving rooms in their houses to avoid the noise.
After the hearing, the police’s anti-social behaviour case work manager, Karen Isherwood, said: “This is a good result.
“The police and Pendle Council will not tolerate behaviour like this and will work together and take action to ensure residents get peace and quiet. Victims are taken seriously in these cases.”