A BLAZE which destroyed a garage and damaged a semi-detached house in Nelson is being treated as a possible arson.
The fire at Bath Street on Sunday morning was dealt with by crews from Nelson. The whole time night shift was just about to finish when they got the call two minutes before 8 a.m., and the day crew took over later. Part-time retained firefighters were there all the time, however.
The fire is being treated as suspicious and it is believed some bikes were stolen from the garage. The house was empty at the time because of restoration work.
Crew Manager Adrian Howarth said: “It was a substantial garage not actually attached to the house, and it was destroyed by the fire. The heat cracked the downstairs windows and the upstairs bathroom window.”
Part of the roof included asbestos, and the kit worn by the firefighters in breathing apparatus is now having to be sent off to be treated.
The cause of the fire is being jointly investigated by the police and fire service.