Burnley holidaymakers determined not to “let the terrorists win”

Flowers on the beach near the RIU Imperial Marhaba hotel in Sousse, Tunisia, where 38 people lost their lives after a gunman stormed the beach
Flowers on the beach near the RIU Imperial Marhaba hotel in Sousse, Tunisia, where 38 people lost their lives after a gunman stormed the beach
  • More than 80 Burnley holidaymakers have returned home from Tunisia
  • Burnley travel agency Althams says people are determined “not to let the terrorists win”
  • Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against all but essential travel to Tunisia
0
Have your say

More than 80 Burnley holidaymakers have been brought home from terror struck Tunisia, or have changed their summer holiday plans in light of the recent terror attack.

But a Burnley travel agency said people are determined “not to let the terrorists win.”

Altham’s Travel in St James’s Street have helped dozens of people change their holiday plans and move to different locations in the wake of last month’s attack.

Thirty-eight people were murdered when a gunman opened fire on tourists in the resort city of Sousse on Friday June 26th - 30 of whom were British.

And on Thursday the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advised against all but essential travel to Tunisia, prompting major booking agents such as Thomas Cook to cancel all flights until October 31st.

But amidst thousands of holidaymakers being flown home or moved to other destinations, Mr Peter Mackie, general manager at Altham’s Travel, insists his company’s clients have not been cowed by the terrorist threat.

Of course some people are nervous about travelling, but there are more saying they do not want to let the terrorists win

Peter Mackie, General Manager, Althams

“I do not think it has had any negative effect. We see and hear that people still want to travel to Tunisia,” he said.

“Of course some people are nervous about travelling, but there are more saying they do not want to let the terrorists win.”