DCSIMG

Campaigners relief as councillors refuse Barnoldswick plan for second time

The

The "Save Barlicks green fields" campaign, set up in opposition to an application which could see 29 homes built off Long Ing Lane in Barnoldswick, has seen it refused for a second time. (S)

 

Protesters who campaigned long and loud against a Barnoldswick planning application are “relieved” after seeing it refused for a second time on Monday.

Pendle Council’s Development Management Committee spent two hours debating the application, which could see 29 homes built off Long Ing Lane, before six of the 11 councillors voted to refuse it.

The motion to refuse the application, which is for access-only at this stage, was put forward by Coun David Whipp. Of the remaining five councillors, four voted to approve it and one abstained.

The refusal was based on grounds that it extends beyond Barnoldswick’s settlement boundary, the principle of building on the private street of Moss Side was unacceptable to the committee and the exit of the proposed development on to Long Ing Lane would have an inherently unsafe impact on highway safety.

Backing the motion, Coun. Graham Waugh of Foulridge said: “I sympathise with the case we have got here.

“I’m a firm believer in localism and so is this government, or so it keeps telling us.”

And while he said there was a risk it could cost the council down the line, Coun. Waugh added: “On balance, I think

the case is worth refusing and taking a chance at appeal.”

Earlier in the meeting, protester Peter Crompton set out the case against the application on behalf of an army of “Save Barlick’s green fields” campaigners and said Evidence of Use Forms had been sent to Lancashire County Council in an attempt to get footpaths on the application site set in stone as public rights of way.

Rob Crolla, speaking on behalf of developer Stirling Investment Properties, told the meeting that the application met all planning requirements.

But, on top of the reasons for refusal, Barnoldswick representatives Coun. Whipp and Coun. Ken Hartley again criticised the viability of the scheme and questioned whether there was the demand in the town for the homes.

Reacting to Monday’s vote, Mr Crompton said: “While the objectors are extremely pleased and greatly relieved, we still have the possibility of an appeal.

“We are grateful to the councillors who supported our case and saw it through to a victory on Monday.

“We are not putting the bunting up or getting the brass band out just yet but we do feel we have made significant progress.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page