Organisers of Colne Gala have expressed their delight after an under-threat procession was given the go-ahead.
Last week, we reported that the popular part of the annual gala was in “serious danger” after a road closure order was turned down. This was due to Lancashire Constabulary scaling down their involvement in smaller local events.
But now, following a meeting on Wednesday morning, chairman Gary Seed was given the news that police will maintain their presence at the procession as a “gesture of goodwill”.
Mr Seed (46), of Harrison Drive, said: “Police are quite happy to support the event, which is a bit of a turnaround.
“We will effectively be able to run it as we have done previously, as they will continue the gesture of goodwill they shown over the years.
“I am very happy - this is the best outcome that we could have had. It is just a shame it has taken this long to get to this point, and that it has all been somewhat of a storm in a teacup.”
Also thrilled with the news is gala committee member Coun. Neil Butterworth.
He said: “I was worried about it, as without the procession it wouldn’t be the same gala.
“It is only 30 minutes, but everybody benefits from it, and a lot of the charity money comes from the procession.
“I would like to thank the Colne Times for the help given, as without the publicity it could have just been another event swept under the carpet. It is full steam ahead for us now.”