Colne man (30) dies after drinks binge

editorial image

A COLNE man died after a suspected fall at his house, an inquest heard.

Terence Graham (30) was found by his flatmate in his bedroom at New Market Street on November 25th last year.

The inquest heard he had been drinking the previous day, and had been seen falling over and staggering through the town’s main street.

It is believed he fell later on at home – possibly up or down the stairs, and had taken himself to his bedroom to lie down.

Mr Graham was described as a “likeable character”, who liked to binge drink on occasions.

East Lancashire deputy coroner Mark Williams heard Mr Graham’s lodger, Gavin Ledger, returned home from work to find him in the same position as when he had left him, and became concerned.

Mr Ledger said: “He enjoyed a drink, and every so often would have a bit of a blow out.

“When I left him on Friday morning he was still snoring.

“After work I went to check on him again and thought there was something wrong. He felt very cold and I could not get any response. Blood was coming from his ear.”

He called for an ambulance and performed CPR until paramedics arrived.

It is believed Mr Graham died between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Pathologist Dr Abdul Al-Dawoud said Mr Graham’s injuries were consistent with a fall, and said toxicology tests showed there was a small amount of cocaine and alcohol in his urine.

The main find was a fracture within the skull, but there were also abrasions to his arms.

He said: “The fall caused the bleeding to the brain, stopping his breathing.”

Mr Williams returned a verdict of accidental death.

“It is difficult to know which fall contributed, or caused the fracture of the skull which led to the bleed on the brain,” said Mr Williams.

“What is not in any doubt is that Mr Graham liked to drink. The fall at home was no doubt because of the drink, but he seemed to be able to get up from that and go to the bathroom to try to clean up.

“He has gone to his bedroom to lie down and, while asleep, the bleeding to the brain has caused his death.”