Firefighters from Nelson are treating a garage fire in Richard Street, Brierfield, last night (Tuesday) as arson.
Two appliances were called to the blaze at 9-50pm and found the garage well alight.
Crews used a hose reel to initially attack the fire but on further investigation with a thermal image camera, they found three liquid petroleum gas cylinders inside.
Fortunately, these were not directly involved in the fire, but these cylinders have the potential to cause major damage and serious harm to firefighters and the public.
Due to the amount of items involved in the fire and the toxic smoke, crews uses breathing apparatus to remove all items from the garage and extinguish the fire.
Both appliances were on the scene for 40 minutes. Talks are being held with Pendle Council and the police to try to prevent further incidents.
A Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “If you own or rent a garage, please be mindful of items stored inside and the potential they have to cause serious harm if involved in a fire.
“Cylinders in particular are extremely dangerous. Please take extra time and care to ensure your garage is secure.”