Two Pendle men have been fined by Pendle Council for smoking in their workplaces.
Abdul Majeed and Mohammed Khan, who both work for local taxi firms, were each given fixed penalties of £50, reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days.
Mr Majeed, of Hendon Road, Nelson, who works for Superline Taxis in Nelson, was caught smoking by two council officials while driving his taxi on the evening of July 27th.
Later that night, Mohammed Khan, of Every Street, Nelson, was caught smoking in the office of Street Cars Taxis in Nelson.
Coun. John David, who leads on environmental health issues in Pendle, said: “It’s been against the law to smoke in workplaces, including vehicles used for work or public transport, from July 1st, 2007.
“The law is in place to protect workers and residents from tobacco smoke and there really is no excuse for lighting up in non-smoking areas.
“We have a duty to protect our non-smoking residents and we will not tolerate smokers putting other people’s health at risk.”
Mr John Heys, the environmental health officer who fined the two men, said: “Passengers have the right to taxis that are smoke-free. Likewise, people using a taxi office, whether that’s taxi drivers or members of the public, should not have to breathe in second-hand smoke.
“It’s no hardship to stand outside to smoke and if you don’t, it could turn out to be a very costly cigarette!”
To report anyone you see smoking in a public building, workplace or work vehicle, call 661568.