Sir Jimmy Savile: Detectives probe East Lancashire sex abuse claims

MONDAY JULY 12 2004 QUEEN MARY SAVILE SAIL PAST'Sir Jimmy Savile watches and waves as the Queen Mary 2 sails into Scarborough Bay yesterday afternoon. Picture: Terry Carrott
MONDAY JULY 12 2004 QUEEN MARY SAVILE SAIL PAST'Sir Jimmy Savile watches and waves as the Queen Mary 2 sails into Scarborough Bay yesterday afternoon. Picture: Terry Carrott
1
Have your say

DETECTIVES are investigating sex abuse claims made by two East Lancashire women involving Sir Jimmy Savile.

Police chiefs in the county confirmed two historical complaints have been made against the late “Jim’ll Fix It” star.

Metropolitan Police are already looking into 120 lines of inquiry with 30 possible victims covering four decades.

Now Lancashire Police say the sex abuse claims made by the two women, who were under 16 at the time, will be investigated by detectives at Scotland Yard.

A spokesman for Lancashire Police said: “We have had an allegation from a woman about sexual abuse in Yorkshire during the 1960s and another from a woman about sexual abuse in Bedfordshire in the 1980s. Both women were under the age of 16 at the time.

“We have passed the details onto the Metropolitan Police who are leading the investigation.”

Sir Jimmy is alleged to have abused girls as young as 13 during his career as an entertainer and charity fund-raiser – with allegations spanning the entire country.

The former Radio DJ and Top of the Pops presenter, who died last year aged 84, is said to have visited the Locarno Club in Burnley during the 1960s.