A charity has warned pet owners to be on their guard after a case of a serious illness affecting dogs was found in Nelson at the weekend.
Cody, the Pomerian cross-breed pictured here, was taken to Pendle Dogs in Need on Friday and was diagnosed as suffering from the parvo virus by vets on Monday.
He was picked up as a stray wandering the streets and spent a week with one of the charity’s foster homes before being diagnosed.
He has made a good recovery and was released to an owner in Burnley on Tuesday.
The story has attracted a good deal of interest on social media with more than 70 dog lovers sending messages of support.
A spokesman for the charity posted this week: “He is currently in the vets and is getting all the best treatment to help him fight this awful disease.
“Please be alert for signs in your own dogs. The most obvious are the sickness and diarrhoea but they will start with a sudden loss of energy and lethargy. If in doubt, speak to your vet.”
Dogs that develop the disease show symptoms of the illness within three to seven days.
The symptoms include lethargy, vomiting, fever and diarrhoea.
The virus is highly contagious and is spread from dog to dog by direct or indirect contact with their faeces.
Vaccines can prevent the infection but mortality can reach 91 per cent in untreated cases.
Although the virus may affect other mammals, it will not infect people.