Dogs rescued in Nelson flat fire

Latest News
Latest News

Firefighters from Nelson and Colne attended a kitchen fire at a flat in Leeds Road, Nelson, on Sunday evening.

Three crews – two from Colne and one from Nelson – were called to the scene at around 7-45pm, where they were faced with a well developed blaze with flames coming out the window.

They wore breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire with a hose reel and rescued two dogs from the front room. One of these has been found a foster home, according to a Facebook page from the Pendle Dogs in Need charity.

The male occupant had got out the property prior to the arrival of the fire service suffering from minor burns and smoke inhalation.

The fire caused severe damage to the first floor flat, leaving it uninhabitable.

A Lancashire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “The property did not have any working smoke alarms and the occupant was only alerted by the smell of the fire in the kitchen.

“As such, if the incident had been in the night and the occupant had been asleep, the outcome could have been very different.”