Electrical fault causes house fire

editorial image

Three fire engines were mobilised to a house fire “persons reported” at 01:30 hours.

On arrival The Incident Commander was made aware that the occupier was still inside the property attempting to extinguish the fire himself. He was immediately taken outside and was given first aid treatment by Fire Service personnel.

4 breathing apparatus wearers using a hose reel jet entered the property and extinguished the fire. The entire property was heavily smoke logged and a ventilation unit was used to remove the smoke.

The property was not suitable for the occupier to return and a request for the Fire Emergency Support Vehicle to attend was made. This appliance is staffed by volunteers and covers the whole of Lancashire. They offer support to people after an incident and in this instance they were able to offer the occupier food and drink and a place to stay warm while temporary accomodation was organised.

Fire engines were at the scene for approximately two and a half hours dealing with the incident and carrying out an investigation. At this time the cause is being returned as accidental due to an electrical fault with an extension lead.

The occupier heard the fire and went to investigate. There was a smoke alarm in the property but it did not alert him due to it not being fitted on the ceiling.