Fire alert at Nelson sheltered housing

Fire

Fire

0
Have your say

Nelson firefighters attended a fire alarm at a sheltered housing location, where the alarm had been activated due to a resident leaving food unattended while cooking on the hob.

It happened at Ashiana Lodge on Audley Close, Nelson, around 5-30pm on Friday. Crew Manager Lee Garnet from Nelson Fire Station said: “The smoke detector in the property alerted the resident, who quickly took the pan off preventing a potentially serious fire.

“Fire crews used large fans to assist in removing the smoke from the occupiers flat. And the crew advised the occupant to never leave food unattended while cooking, and advised that cooking timers also alert people of when food should be ready.”

Just one fire engine from Nelson went along.

And Mr Garnett added: “Smoke alarms save lives. You are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got one. A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you and your family precious time to escape.”

For a free Home Fire Safety Check, advice and smoke alarm test or replacement, visit www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk or call 0800 1691125.