Fire destroys Colne kitchen

The scene after a fire at a house in Claremont Street in Colne (s)

The scene after a fire at a house in Claremont Street in Colne (s)

2
Have your say

Two people were rushed to hospital after a serious blaze at a house in Colne.

The kitchen at the house in Claremont Street was destroyed by the fire which started at approximately 4-30am on Sunday. The remainder of the property suffered smoke damage.

The scene after a fire at a house in Claremont Street in Colne (s)

The scene after a fire at a house in Claremont Street in Colne (s)

Two engines from Colne attended the incident.

An elderly woman and a toddler are believed to have been taken to hospital after being treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. It is not known and it is not known whether they were in the same property at the time.

Fire crews attending the scene said the occupant was “lucky to be alive”.

There was no working smoke alarm in the house, according to the fire service, but there was a carbon monoxide alarm at the top of stairs which saved the occupant’s life.

The scene after a fire at a house in Claremont Street in Colne (s)

The scene after a fire at a house in Claremont Street in Colne (s)

The fire service said a smoke alarm would have activated much sooner and urged people to ensure they have a working smoke alarm fitted.

Crews also reminded people to have a good bedtime routine, to shut doors and know where your keys are.