AN elderly diner died after choking on his food during a regular meal out, an inquest was told.
East Lancashire Coroner Richard Taylor recorded a verdict of accidental death on 91-year-old Mr Cecil Hudson, of Greenbank Drive, Fence.
Mr Hudson’s son, Ian, said that his father enjoyed going out for a Friday evening meal, and that he and his wife had taken Mr Hudson to the Swan pub, in Fence. When Mr Hudson became unwell, his son initially thought he had had a stroke, but a nurse who came to their aid said he was choking. Mr Hudson was taken to Blackburn Royal Hospital but died later that night. Pathologist Dr Walid Salmon said that Mr Hudson had died from asphyxia after breathing in food.