A Colne man has described the site of a demolished mill in the town as a potential death trap.
Oak Mill, in Skipton Road, was knocked down earlier this year after standing empty for several years.
But local resident Keith Hill said the boundary fence around the site had partially collapsed and it was now open for people, and more worryingly children, to wander on to.
“There are deep open excavations immediately adjacent to the footpath and children are walking past this dangerous site on a daily basis on their way to and from school,” said Mr Hill.
“The shocking thing is that it has been done without any consideration to the local residents and even less to those who have to walk past this site and who might find themselves tripping up over the fallen fencing and head-first in one of the open excavations.”
Pendle Council planning manager Neil Watson said the contractor had been served with a notice under the Building Act on Thursday requiring them to make the site secure.
This was due to expire yesterday and if the work had not been done, the council could take the contractor to the magistrates court.
Mr Watson also said that as the site is considered as an active development, the Health and Safety Executive had been asked to investigate the position.