Free fire safety courses in Pendle after number of house fires rise

Nelson fire fighter Barry Hornsby (Fire Service Manager) alerts Pendle residents of the dangers of house fires. G180111/4
Nelson fire fighter Barry Hornsby (Fire Service Manager) alerts Pendle residents of the dangers of house fires. G180111/4
0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS in Pendle are urging residents to up their home safety efforts following a sharp rise in house fires across the borough.

During 2010, accidental fires in Pendle homes injured 15 people and killed one person. There have been 69 household fires in Pendle, mostly attributable to cooking, smoking and electrical issues. Just less than a third have been due to faulty white goods.

In response, Pendle Community Safety Partnership, which brings together organisations such as the police and fire service, is offering residents the chance to take part in a free fire safety training course.

Jerry Cragg, of Lancashire Fire and Rescue, said: “House fires are currently the biggest problem we face as a fire service in Pendle – and numbers keep rising.

“Not only does fire have a significant individual impact on those directly involved, but it also affects the wider community and comes at significant financial cost. Latest Fire and Rescue Service figures put the average cost of an accidental house fire at £8,500, with the cost of injury, for example smoke inhalation, costing £44,000.”

Firefighters are keen to highlight the safety issues behind fires at a one-day training course at Nelson Town Hall on Friday, February 4th.

Held between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., Pendle Community Safety Team, with Pendle Council’s Neighbourhood Management and the fire service, will teach residents how to reduce the risk of fire.

If you live in Pendle and are interested in taking part, call Lisa Higson on 661565, or email neighbourhood.management@pendle.gov.uk

Almost half of the recent house fires in Pendle have been a result of distractions, ranging from leaving cooking unattended, cooking while under the influence of alcohol, answering the telephone/door, falling asleep and the careless disposal of smoking materials.

Most house fires Pendle firefighters are called out to happen in the Vivary Bridge and Waterside areas of Colne and the Whitefield and Clover Hill areas of Nelson.

There’s lots more on this story in Friday’s Nelson Leader, COlne Times and Barnoldswick & Earby Times.