There has been a good response to the knife amnesty launched at the Bank Holiday at the end of August, say police.
Swords, machetes and commando knives are among a “significant” number of weapons which have been handed in.
And Detective Inspector Warren Atkinson said many of the knives handed in were capable of doing “serious damage”.
He said: “The number and type of knives which have been handed in since we launched the amnesty justifies why we have taken the decision to do it.
“A significant number of weapons which are capable of doing serious damage – including World War One knives and homemade blades – have been handed in to the bins. It’s frightening to think what could have happened if these knives had remained on Lancashire’s streets.
“I would like to thank everyone who has handed over a knife so far – and continue to appeal to anyone who is in possession of an illegal blade, or knows someone who is, to consider handing it in.
“For the duration of the amnesty residents can drop their knives in the bins at designated police stations anonymously, without fear of repercussions.”
Among the weapons given up are machetes, swords, commando knives, a homemade blade screwed together with razor blades and large knives.
The amnesty will run until Monday, September 29th, with bins available at Colne and Burnley police stations,