Health bosses welcome probe into death rates at Burnley General Hospital
HOSPITAL chiefs at Burnley and Blackburn hospitals have welcomed an investigation into death rates among patients.
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust is one of five health trusts to face an investigation following the outcome of the publication of the inquiry into mistreatment and neglect of patients at scandal-hit Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust.
Mr Mark Brearley, chief executive at the Trust, said: “We welcome the recommendations of the Mid Staffordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust public inquiry and will be looking closely at how they can underpin our services.
“We have been named as one of five trusts in the country who present in the ‘higher than expected’ band in the Summary Hospital Mortality Indicator (SHMI).
“This indicator is one of a number of mortality indicators along with the more commonly used Hospital Standard Mortality Ratio (HSMR). We take this very seriously and we welcome the independent review by the NHS Commissioning Board Medical Director, Prof. Sir Bruce Keogh.”
• Read the full story in Friday’s Burnley Express.
- Aston Villa in frame for Burnley strike ace Austin
- Appeal for Nelson man wanted for drugs offences
- Assistant manager of Colne pub admits assault and damage
- Coronation Street star Natalie Gumede left ‘truly humbled’ following triple triumph at British Soap Awards
- David Fishwick’s pay day loans TV crusade
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Pendle
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 7 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: West