Thanks for saving my life!
A COURAGEOUS Nelson toddler has sent a letter and biscuits to the town’s firefighters as a thank you for saving his life.
Archie Wilson (3) was at home with his dad Terry Wilson on Wednesday, December 5th when the fierce blaze began in the kitchen of the Castle Street house.
In a letter to the fire service, Archie thanked them “for coming so fast and getting us out so quickly and for letting me sit in your fire engine”.
Terry admits he was “frightened for his life” as the house rapidly became smoke logged and he struggled to find his keys.
The quick-thinking builder and joiner, who was half-way through renovating the property, decided the best thing was to wait in the attic of the house while the fire service arrived.
Terry said: “I put a pie in the oven about 9pm and then ate it but left the oven on. I fell asleep and I think the fire caused the power to trip which woke me up.
“I phoned the fire service straight away. I couldn’t find my keys to get out. The house was dark, completely full of smoke and I couldn’t see anything.
“Archie was in a state of shock. His eyes were wide open and he didn’t say a word until he was in the fire engine. I’m just glad we’re still alive and they got us out in time.”
Terry has praised the fire service for the quick response and said the damage which has destroyed the kitchen “is a small price to pay”.
In the run up to Christmas, Community Fire Safety Officer Geoff Hudson hopes that good can come out of this in spreading an important message.
He said: “This incident highlights the exact message we want to get across. Make sure ovens and grill pans are turned off when you’re not using them, it’s our main cause of fires.
“Make it a bed time routine to ensure things are switched off. In this case, the house was very well equipped. The smoke alarms were linked into the mains which is even better than traditional battery ones.”
To arrange a free home fire safety check, including the fitting of 10-year guarantee smoke alarms fitting, contact Lancashire Fire Service on 0800 169 1125 or visit www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Pendle
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 3 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North west