The neighbours of a family rescued from a house fire in Nelson in the early hours of this morning have been praised by firefighters for their efforts.
Crews called to the house in Trent Road shortly before 1-50am found that neighbours had placed a ladder on a garage roof to enable the occupants of the house to get out of a bedroom window.
A fire had broken out in the living room and the seven occupants had called 999 from the upstairs bedroom.
When firefighters arrived, they took over the rescue operation and also broke into the house wearing breathing apparatus to rescue a dogm and two guinea pigs.
Watch manager at Nelson Fire Station Tom Simpson said: “The fire had started in the television receiver box and had spread to the curtains.
“The house had a smoke detector but it wasn’t working and the battery had been removed.
“Luckily the downstairs door had been shut preventing a lot of the smoke reaching the family.
“The neighbours had done a brilliant job in making an early rescue of the occupants possible.”
The fire destroyed the television and sudio unit as well as curtains and roller blinds as well as causing heat damage to 20 per cent of the living room and smoke damage to all of the house.