Nelson man (71) taken to hospital after kitchen blaze

Fire and ambulance crews at a fire on Norfolk Street, Nelson.
Fire and ambulance crews at a fire on Norfolk Street, Nelson.

A 71-year-old Nelson man was taken to hospital for a check-up after a fire at his house on Monday afternoon.

Three fire engines, a paramedic fast response car, an ambulance and the police attended the incident on Norfolk Street at around 3-35pm.

Watch manager Roy Edwards, of Nelson Fire Station, said: “It led to the adult male occupant being conveyed to hospital for precautionary tests due to possible smoke inhalation. Food had been left cooking on the hob of the oven unattended. Smoke from the burning food escaped from the open windows, alarming neighbours who alerted the fire service by calling 999.

“The occupant had no working smoke alarms fitted in the property and was unaware of the large amount of smoke accumulating in the property.”

The watch manager has also come up with recommendations, including testing fire alarms and never leaving cooking unattended.

Mr Edwards said: “Smoke alarms save lives. You are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got one. A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you and your family precious time to escape.”

And he added: “For a free Home Fire Safety Check, advice and smoke alarm test or replacement, visit www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk Or call 0800 169 1125.”

There were two fire engines from Nelson and one from Burnley in attendance because of the suggestion there was likely to be someone inside the fire-fit house.

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a ventilation unit to clear smoke.