A young man was thrown to the ground and suffered a suspected broken leg in a freak accident while burning rubbish.
The incident happened at 11-20pm on Monday when the man was burning refuse at Wood Clough Platts, Brierfield.
Watch manager Neil Hardiman from Nelson Fire Service said: “The young man had decided to accelerate the fire by pouring petrol into a metal container which flashed, throwing him backwards, resulting in a possible broken leg.
“He was treated by paramedics on site and taken to hospital. We would advise people to never fuel fire with flammable liquids.
“They should also consider taking all rubbish to refuse sites rather than trying to burn it themselves and consider the environment.”