A COLNE church which has existed in various locations around the town has closed and is up for sale for £250,000.
The congregation at Providence Independent Methodist Church, which has been housed in the town’s former public library in Albert Road for the last 40 years, has joined with that at Bethel IM Church in Burnley Road, another church with falling congregation numbers.
The church was established in the 1820s by Primitive Methodists and its first chapel was built in Garden Street off Lenches Road in 1844.
There was then a rift in the membership over its organisation which led to some members moving to a chapel in Skipton Road and those remaining at Garden Street joining the Free Gospel churches and adopting the Providence name.
A new church was built in the early 20th Century in Lenches Road and this was used for the next 60 years until the move to the building in Albert Road was made.
A selling notice by agents Trevor Dawson describes the church as a substantial detached two-storey premises built in 1869 as a private residence and later converted to a library.