‘Squatters’ feared trapped inside Nelson house blaze

editorial image
0
Have your say

WHEN an empty house caught fire, the police feared there could be squatters inside it. So it was treated as an “persons reported” emergency.

Firefighters searched the premises in Meredith Street, Nelson, but found no one inside.

The incident happened just after 9-30 p.m. on Monday. Police entered the house and discovered mattresses on the floor so they contacted the fire service to express concern squatters might be in there.

Six firefighters in breathing apparatus made the search and dealt with the fire in the front room. There was severe fire damage to the ground floor front living room, and moderate smoke damage to the rest of the property.