People in Pendle are being urged to avoid fires in the home by taking part in a free training course.
House fires are currently the biggest problem firefighters in Pendle face - and incidents are rising.
So Pendle Community Safety Partnership and Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service are inviting local people to a one-day training course at Nelson Town Hall on Monday.
It’s a follow-up to two hugely successful training days and will give people the chance to learn how to spot fire risks, helping to keep friends, relatives and neighbours safe.
As well as some top tips, there’ll be a free buffet.
Geoff Whitehead, Localities, Communities and Policy Officer with responsibility for Community Safety, said: “Most fires in the home could be avoided if people took some simple steps to protect themselves and their families.
“This training course is the ideal chance for residents to learn some of the basic facts about fire safety in a friendly and informal way.”
Coun. David Whipp, Chairman of Pendle Community Safety Partnership, added: “In no way do we want to preach at people. We just want everyone to be aware of the facts and how they can keep themselves safe.
“Fires are not only dangerous to the people in the house at the time, but can also cause serious upset for relatives and neighbours, not to mention the threat to firefighters.”
Steve Chappell, Station Manager for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, is keen for people who look after vulnerable people to come along.
He said: “Fires in the home pose the greatest risk to us all. They can happen very quickly and often result in very serious injury or even death.
“The frustrating element of house fires is that the majority of them could have been avoided by using common sense and making sure fire alarms are regularly checked.”
The one-day training course will be held between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. in Nelson Town Hall’s Wilson Room.