Boyle is hat-trick hero again as Colne go nap

Tom Berwick shoots for goal at Liverpool
Tom Berwick shoots for goal at Liverpool

Colne turned on the style in a five-goal romp at AFC Liverpool on Saturday with Danny Boyle scoring his second hat-trick in five days.

After a bright opening, Boyle gave Colne the lead after only eight minutes when he burst into the area and beat the keeper with a low diagonal shot following Kieran Demaine’s superb through ball.

Danny Boyle on the attack at AFC Liverpool

Danny Boyle on the attack at AFC Liverpool

Ten minutes later, the Reds doubled their lead when Chris Anderson found Tom Berwick with a defence-splitting pass and Berwick went past keeper Declan Morgan before slotting the ball home.

The home side fought back and Ryan Cox reduced the arrears when he fired home at the far post after a hard low cross from the left wing on 20 minutes.

But Colne restored their cushion six minutes later when Simon Nangle’s through ball released Boyle into the area, and although Morgan forced him wide, Boyle’s shot on the turn found the net off the keeper’s body.

Colne enjoyed some good possession in the remainder of the first half without creating clear chances while at the other end, Carl Peers saw his long range shotdeflected over.

AFC Liverpool pushed forward in the second half but the Reds held firm at the back and threatened on the break.

Chris Thompson was soon in action to push a shot by Francis Barry round the post after 47 minutes before another shot flashed across his goal five minutes later from another dangerous attack.

Anderson helped out his defence with some good tackles in midfield while Brandon Barski replaced the injured Hodgkinson alongside Alex Coleman at the back.

Up front, Boyle shot wide from a great opportunity provided by Spencer Jordan’s through ball after 62 minutes and as Colne enjoyed a period of attacking play, Boyle rattled the home crossbar with a curling shot on 73 minutes.

But the Reds cracked the home defence once more on 84 minutes when Jordan scored with a low shot after squeezing between two home defenders.

And a minute before the final whistle, Boyle completed his hat-trick when he raced clear and fired home Colne’s fifth goal after a dazzling interchange of passes by the Reds attack to round off a convincing performance against a higher placed team.

Tomorrow, Colne travel to Silsden in the League Cup with a 3 p.m. kick-off.

Meanwhile, last Thursday, Colne Reserves beat AFC Fylde Reserves 2-1 in the Lancashire Galaxy League after staging one of their famous comebacks.

The visitors went ahead after five minutes after a headed own goal from Alex Grice, but two minutes into the second half, Brandon Barski equalised, and 10 minutes later the former Nelson man netted the winner.