Colne earn satisfying point at leaders Runcorn Linnets

The Colne defence under pressure at Runcorn
The Colne defence under pressure at Runcorn
Have your say

Colne earned a well-deserved draw at league leaders Runcorn Linnets on Saturday thanks to an early goal by Andy Tinker and a good all-round team performance.

Colne took the lead after only five minutes when Chris Anderson’s run took him to the edge of the area where he appeared to be fouled, but the referee played the advantage and Tinker found the net with a shot into the bottom corner.

Linnets came back strongly but the Reds almost doubled their lead after 14 minutes when Danny Boyle’s run created the chance for Spencer Jordan, but his shot was saved by the feet of Richard Mottram.

On the half hour Chris Thompson made a superb instinctive save to turn Matthew Atherton’s shot over when he looked certain to score from a half-cleared corner.

After 40 minutes the Reds should have had a second goal when Jordan broke clear. But as he tried to go round the keeper, Mottram got down at his feet to knock the ball away and a defender got back on the line to clear from Jordan and Boyle.

Colne might have had a penalty when Jordan was brought down by Mottram.

After the break, both sides hit the woodwork before, on 66 minutes, the Reds conceded a corner on the right and the cross was headed down at the near post by Atherton for Michael White to shoot home from close range.

Joe Garvin and Brandon Barski joined the game from the bench as Colne looked for a winner but the home defence was a tough nut to crack.

A draw was a fair result and Colne will look back on the game with a great deal of satisfaction.

However, on Tuesday night, the Reds lost 3-2 at home to West Didsbury and Chorlton as they went out of the LFA Trophy at the first hurdle.

The Reds were rocked by a goal in the first minute when a cross into the area was met by Tre Baldwin Willis who blasted a low shot past Thompson.

Things got worse for the Reds after 27 minutes when a break down the wing set up Kieran Brocklehurst to volley a second goal.

Four minutes into the second half, the Reds were given a lifeline when a West Didsbury defender handled in the penalty area and Boyle fired home the spot kick. And a minute later, Boyle grabbed his second with a blistering diagonal shot off the far post.

However, late on Brocklehurst embarked on a run which none of the Colne defence could halt and he finished with a low shot.

Tomorrow Colne host Heaton Stannington in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase (kick-off 3 p.m.), before the derby at Nelson on Tuesday (7-45 p.m.), providing no replays are required.