The final Football League emergency loan window has shut, with Clarets boss Sean Dyche declaring he is happy with his squad.
As of 5 p.m. yesterday, no short term deals in or out are permitted until the transfer window opens on New Year’s Day.
Dyche was not expecting any additions to his squads, preferring permanent signings to temporary ones.
Moving forward, the Football League will fall in line with the Premier League and only allow loans during the summer and January windows, with no emergency safety net, and Dyche said: “There were certain situations we looked at, but we are still in a position to purchase in January, if and when we feel it is necessary.
“We will be able to continuing purchasing, which is better – the player is part of the club and the team then.
“We like the group we are working with, it has been productive so far.
“And we now have players behind that group who are chomping at the bit as well.”
Dyche is not a big advocate of the emergency loan window, using it only once while in charge at Turf Moor so far.
He brought in Alex Kacaniclic from Fulham in March 2013 – his first signing after taking over at Burnley in October 2012 – but didn’t use the emergency window in the promotion season of 2013/14, and, in the Premier League last season, the option wasn’t available.
And he wonders how well the system has worked: “It’s a strange one, clubs have been asked to be more frugal under FFP, but it’s not always been the case.
“The loan system can help clubs, with short termism, it gives clubs chance to settle financial situations while being productive, but clubs haven’t necessarily taken heed of that, not used it to calm their finances, using loans and purchases. It’s an ongoing debate.”
The downside is Dyche will not be able to use emergency loans to get his younger players first team experience or game time elsewhere – Cameron Dummigan, Daniel Lafferty, Kevin Long and Alex Whitmore would have been unable to complete such moves.
Dyche noted: “Whether going forward the rules are flexed, or the window radically disappears, we don’t know how it will work going forward, but football usually finds a way.
“It’s up to the powers that be, we have minimal say in these things, and we’ll have to work within the rules.”
Meanwhile, Burnley travel to Cardiff City tomorrow with Dyche hoping for a squad boost in terms of the return of Wales international striker Sam Vokes.
Vokes picked up a groin problem three weeks ago in the goal-less draw at former club Wolves, which forced him out of Wales’ 3-2 friendly defeat with Holland, at the Cardiff City Stadium.
It was hoped he would return last weekend to face unbeaten Brighton, but he wasn’t risked, and the extra recovery period could be vital.
Dyche said: “We’re still hopeful with Vokesy.
“We have had to be careful with him, but he has made good progress in the last few days.
“It was a minor muscle pull, we had it checked out and it was nothing major, but we still have to be sure it doesn’t lead to anything bigger.
“We didn’t want to risk him last week, there is a bigger picture than one game.
“But certainly it is nothing serious.”
Dean Marney returned to the bench on Sunday after almost 10 months out with a cruciate knee injury, and Dyche said: “We will still be careful, making sure Deano ffeds back to the medical team and sports science team on how he is feeling.
“We are still monitoring him. His general match fitness and the way he is training, he is looking nice and free, and ready to be considered.
“There will come a time when he is right to be 100%, and the only way to get there is to keep his reserve game programme up, and, even better, first team football, which gives you that real sharpness.”
The last time Burnley were at Cardiff, Dyche was in the stands as prospective new manager, and he expects a tough test: “We need to be ready to perform, they have a deep squad and players with experience.”