Pendle Forset just too hot to handle

editorial image

Another three points helped the Greens climb back to top spot after a hard working Forest kept a second consecutive clean sheet.

A slow start to the game saw Forest almost go behind after 10 minutes as keeper Ants Windle made a rare mistake and missed punching the ball clear. Thankfully, Josh Pickering was alert enough to see the danger and cleared of the line much to the relief of the keeper.

Ants, to his credit, showed his undoubted quality after that as he commanded his area with real authority. With several changes made to the starting line up, including Aaron Ferguson and Harrison Hunt both working hard, the Greens carried on in the usual manner playing some nice football but without the end result when in front of goal.

Nathan Hudson, who once again pulled the strings in midfield was a tireless competitor, prompting Forest forward at every opportunity. As the half wore on, Darwen started to ask questions and were quickly dealt with by the ever impressive Josh Dunne and his partner Dan Smith, Josh showing his quality with a great understanding of everything going on around him as time and time again he made great interceptions before starting the next attack off.

First half strikes by the deadly duo of Nathan Hawke and Daniel Hughes saw Forest go in at half-time 2-0 up. The second half turned out to be very enjoyable to watch as both teams got the ball down and played quality football, but this is where the Greens shine, much to the disapointment of the Rangers as they struggled to live with Forests slick passing and tireless running which eventually led to a third Forest goal expertly tucked away passed the advancing keeper by Kian Farnworth.

There was time for one more moment of magic in the dying minutes.

With Darwen trying hard to get on the scoresheet they threw everything at the Greens back line only to be denied by three stunning saves from point blank range one after another by the Forest keeper, who was determined to keep a clean sheet.

If those saves had been made during a Premier League game, they would be talked about for years to come, such was the quality of the goalkeeping.

Man-of-the-match was awarded to Nathan Hudson.