Town continue impressive form

Mark Threlfall fights for the ball.
Mark Threlfall fights for the ball.
Have your say

Barnoldswick Town continued their impressive recent form with a 2-0 win at Bacup and Rossendale Borough on Wednesday night.

Town had the first chance after eight minutes, as Mark Threlfall’s free kick hit the wall and was deflected towards Ashlea Gotham’s left hand post, Gotham diving to turn the ball away for a corner.

Bacup reacted immediately as Marcus Calvert screwed a shot wide of Jake Chadwick’s left hand post.

Midway through the half, Conner Smith released Threlfall into the area, Gotham saving low down at the near post.

Bacup went close from a corner, centre half Mike Harling seeing a downwards header tipped around the post by Chadwick.

The second half though not a frenetic as the first, saw no clear cut chances for either side until the 62nd minute. Aaron Hollindrake putting Sam Howell through beyond the Bacup defence, and he took the ball on and blasted his shot in at the near post.

Bacup rallied and won a free kick 30 yards out, Luke Morgan seeing a deflected effort turned round the post.

Town went two up after 78 minutes, Gareth Wager being booked for a foul on Howell just outside the Bacup penalty area, though he was lucky the card was only yellow with the tirade of words that was heard all round the ground.

Retribution was at hand as Town Captain Bill Williams smashed the resulting free kick past Gotham.

It was another good performance by Town, on the back of Saturday’s 1-1 draw at home to Norton United.

The match was delayed for 65 minutes due to the Norton coach breaking down en-route.

The match started brightly for Town with a Hollindrake header tipped over the bar by Daniel Roberts. From the corner Town took the lead, Danny Morton cleverly stepping over the ball, allowing it to run on into the path of Threlfall, who drilled it into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

This seemed to inspire a very well-drilled Norton side who took control of the game for quite a while, though Town went in at half-time ahead.

The second half was more or less a mirror image of the first with Norton constantly on the attack, and the equaliser came after 80 minutes, as a free kick just outside the area was taken by Richard Smith, and he calmly stroked the ball past the defensive wall into the far bottom corner.

Town are at Newcastle Benfield in the FA Vase tomorrow.