Shayne Singleton’s prize

editorial image

LORD of the ring Shayne Singleton is awaiting the phone call that could shape his future in boxing.

The 22-year-old, who boasts a perfect record from his 10 professional fights, is praying for inclusion on the forthcoming Prizefighter series.

Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Sport have announced that the revolutionary eight-man tournament, aired live on Sky Sports, will head to the Midlands for the first time as the Civic Hall in Wolverhampton plays host to the Light-Welterweights on February 11th.

The early line-up sees English and British title challenger Dean Harrison, English Welterweight champion Adil Anwar, Liverpool’s British Lightweight challenger John Watson and undefeated 20-0 rising star Tyrone Nurse all gunning for the £32,000 winner’s cheque.

The Light Welterweight division provided one of the hottest Prizefighters yet back in December 2009 when two World Champions met in the final, with Gavin Rees defeating Colin Lynes. Now Singleton is craving a piece of the action.

“I’m still waiting on a decision on whether I’m going to be part of it,” said Singleton. “There’s still three places left on the bill. It would be absolutely amazing to be a part of it, a dream come true.

“There’s a £32,000 prize for the winner and that would more than make up for me having to train through Christmas. There’s some quality fighters on there so it will be a very tough tournament.”

He added: “It would be a massive test for me but I’d love to see where I stand with those sort of boys.”

Singleton had been set to contest the International Masters Light-Welterweight title with holder Michael Frontin. The 34-year-old London boxer defeated Dean Mills on points in the Royal National Hotel in October to scoop the title. But Singleton sustained a cracked rib when sparring with former British light-welterweight and welterweight champion David Barnes last month, forcing the fight to be cancelled.

“The title shot was on but I didn’t want to risk it because of the amount of time I’d been out of the gym,” he said. “I didn’t have the right amount of time needed to prepare for it.

“I’m absolutely devastated. I really am gutted because I’d had the best preparation for it up until then but these things happen for a reason.”

An opponent for Colne Muni’s highly-antipated Friday Fight Night tonight has not yet been confirmed though it is believed to be Johnny Greaves.

Singleton said: “I can’t wait for it. I just want to get it done. I’ve only been back in the gym for two weeks but I feel ready for it.”

Tickets for this evening’s event can still be purchased by contacting Shayne on 07857 476485.