Ambulance wait hell for Colne schoolboy

IN RECOVERY: Connor Denton, with his dad Aaron, brother Kyran and sister Caitlan at Manchester Children's Hospital (S)
IN RECOVERY: Connor Denton, with his dad Aaron, brother Kyran and sister Caitlan at Manchester Children's Hospital (S)
Share this article

The family of a schoolboy knocked down in Colne have spoken of their horror after he was left lying in the road for more than an hour waiting for an ambulance.

Connor Denton (9) suffered a fractured skull, a bleed behind his eyes and multiple breaks in his leg following the terrifying incident in Barrowford Road at around 5pm on Thursday, January 15th.

His injuries were said to be so bad that the bone was coming through his skin, and now Connor’s relatives, including his mum and dad Angela and Aaron Denton, have spoken out in the hope other residents will not go through a similar ordeal.  

In an exclusive statement to the Colne Times, his family said: “That endless wait for the ambulance in the cold and rain in the dark was a nightmare.

“It is a major concern about the length of time the ambulance took to arrive.  Connor’s accident was classified as a non-urgent Green 2, which meant that a young boy had to lie on a freezing cold road for over an hour with a severe head injury, breaks in his leg with no pain relief, no oxygen and the potential of suffering shock and hypothermia. 

“During the ride in the ambulance to Blackburn, Connor did start to go into shock.  Angela and Aaron do not have any issues with the way Connor has been treated by any of the health care professionals, but they are very concerned about the length of time the ambulance took to arrive and they do not want another family to have to suffer.”

Once the ambulance arrived, Connor was taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital and then Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, where he currently remains. His parents are staying in Ronald McDonald House until Connor is discharged. A huge thank you has been paid to everybody who has shown support, including Connor’s Cub group, Lord Street Primary School, where he is a pupil, and Bury FC, where he is part of the football academy.

The family added: “They have all been wonderful. Connor has had lots of cards from his school friends and from the cubs and that has really cheered him up. 

“Connor also has a sister Caitlan who is 10 and a younger brother Kyran who is five.  This has been horrible for the whole family. When at last Connor, Caitlan and Kyran were reunited on Saturday with their parents, that really did give Connor a boost. ”

Connor’s headteacher Duncan Hetherington added: “We have sent him an iPad, so we can Facetime, and we are wishing him all the very best. Connor is one of our school councillors, and he is a lovely lad.”

Responding, a North West Ambulance Service spokesman said: “The Trust is aware of this incident and apologises for the delay. We appreciate that this must be an anxious time for the family.

“We received an emergency 999 call at 5-02pm on January 15th 2015 to attend to an incident in Colne. A resource arrived on scene at 5-29pm. Via the family’s representative, the Trust has requested that the family contact us so we can launch an appropriate investigation and share the findings with them.”