Brierfield rugby player (17) dies after inhaling solvents

editorial image
Share this article

A talented young rugby player died after inhaling solvents in his new house shortly after leaving a children’s home.

Daniel Collins (17) was found on the settee with a bag over his head at his house in Chapel Street, Brierfield, on November 7th last year.

Danny had been a promising member of Burnley Rugby Club following in dad Lee’s footsteps.

An inquest at Burnley Coroner’s Court heard from pathologist Dr Abdul Al-Dawoud who found traces of butane and propane in his system. He gave the cause of death as solvent abuse.

His heartbroken mother Mrs Julie Hancock questioned why he was allowed to live on his own when he had abused solvents in the past.

Danny had previously lived at Haverholt Children’s Home in Colne, and had attended Shuttleworth College for a time where he excelled at sport and maths.

Half-sister Laura Hadcroft said Danny had had a troubled life but had recently moved into his own place.

She added he had seemed fine and had made plans to go to a local bonfire. Health visitor Mrs Margaret Rushton said “Daniel was making a good transition to individual living, but had used aerosol sprays in the past.”

East Lancashire Assistant Deputy Coroner Mr Neil Cronin recorded a verdict of misadventure.