Colne house fire caused by portable heater

Latest news
Latest news
Share this article

A portable electric radiator sparked a blaze at a Colne house.

Two fire engines from Colne and Nelson attended the fire in Parker Street at approximately 5-05pm on New Year’s Eve.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel, a thermal imaging camera and a ventilation to extinguish the fire. The woman occupier was treated at the scene by a paramedic for smoke inhalation.

Watch manager Richard Taylor said: “It was one of those plug in radiators which had caught fire.

“It had melted a bit at the bottom so we removed it from the property.

“The fire produced quite a lot of smoke actually so we used a ventilation unit to make sure the property was clear of smoke.

“Now we are into the new year, may I remind people to check smoke alarms are working.”