COLNE: Tributes after death of dry stone waller (44)

Andrew Ingham
Andrew Ingham

HUNDREDS of people gathered at a Foulridge church on Monday to pay tribute to a Colne craftsman who has died suddenly aged 44.

Andrew Ingham died on January 28th at Royal Blackburn Hospital after collapsing at his home in Castle Road, which he shared with his partner Lorraine and step-son Daniel.

A post mortem revealed he had suffered from ischaemic heart disease.

Andrew, known to friends as Ingy, was a skilled dry stone waller, working for farmers throughout Foulridge, Trawden and Laneshaw Bridge.

He was born in Burnley but moved to Oxenards Farm, Foulridge, as a youngster, attending school in the village and then later Walton High School.

On leaving school he took up work as a farm hand and became involved in the Pendle Re-employment Project.

It was here he met life-long friend Andrew Lawson and the pair set up a dry stone walling business, working on projects across the country including the Settle by pass.

His sister Jennifer said: “He loved his work and took pride in it. He has made a lasting impact on the countryside and the farmers he worked for. No one could fault his work.”

As well as a close family, Andrew had a tight group of friends who he enjoyed socialising with, playing sports and attending rock concerts.

His friend Wayne Robinson said: “Andy was a true gentleman, brother, but most of all a kind, loving and thoughtful person. He was a real gem of a human being and will be sadly missed but fondly remembered for the impact he had on our lives.”

Family and friends travelled from Ireland and America to attend the funeral held on a wet and windy day at St Michael and All Angels Church.

Jennifer said: “The church was really full which was lovely, it was only then that we realised how much of an impact Andrew had had on people.”

Andrew leaves his partner, step son, sister, brother in law Duncan, mother in law Irene and sister in law Yvonne.

His family would like to thank the Rev. Priestly Brook and staff Helliwells Funeral Service as well as paramedics at Royal Blackburn Hospital. Thanks also to those who attended the funeral and sent floral tributes.