Colne amputee addict sold mother’s home to pay for drugs

Burnley Crown Court.
Burnley Crown Court.

A THIRD time heroin dealer who was so addicted himself he sold his late mother’s home and blew the lot on drugs, has been locked up for five years.

Nicholas Fallon, who will be 30 this weekend, has lost his leg due to excessive drug taking - his habit was so bad he was said to have been selling £1,000-worth of heroin a week to pay for it, Burnley Crown Court heard.

Fallon, described by his counsel as an intelligent man, is said to have one of the most sought-after jobs in the prison where he has been on remand, is to start studying for an Open University degree and hopes to complete a mentoring course to help others who have lost limbs.

The defendant, of Varley Street, Colne, admitted supplying heroin, between January 1st and February 27th, possessing the drug with intent to supply and possessing amphetamine. He will face a proceeds of crime hearing in February.

Martine Snowdon (prosecuting) said police raided Fallon’s home on February 27th and found drugs paraphernalia, such as scales, mobile phones and a roll of plastic bags.

Officers also discovered small amounts of drugs - amphetamine and 0.141 grams of heroin, at 48% purity. A lot of cut off, twisted polythene bags were discovered, some in lager cans. Police recovered 64 pieces of polythene bags, sent them off for examination and there was strong forensic support to say they came from the roll of bags.

Miss Snowdon said, when interviewed, Fallon claimed the drugs were for his own use and he had not been supplying. He was bailed and when police returned to his house on May 13th, they looked through the window and saw him, they believed, bagging drugs.

Officers were to find 79 cut off, twisted bags, scales and six small knotted plastic bags of heroin, worth £60. Text messages suggesting drug dealing were on Fallon’s mobile phone and, while officers were present, a large number of people they thought used heroin arrived, looking for the defendant. Cash was seized both times.

The prosecutor said, when he was questioned, Fallon again claimed the drugs were for his own use. Fallon had 43 offences on his record, including two convictions for supplying heroin to undercover police. He had been spared jail both times, firstly for being involved in supply three times in January 2005 and later for supplying a single wrap in March 2008.

Martin Hackett (for Fallon) said he became addicted to heroin again after his mother committed suicide in 2008.

The barrister said: “He was left his mother’s house, sold it and went absolutely mad taking heroin. He felt that was the only way he could cope.”

Once the money ran out, Fallon carried on taking drugs and dealt to others he knew. Mr Hackett said, in his pre-sentence report, Fallon accepted he was dealing 15 bags of heroin a day to fund his own addiction.

He had been on remand and had tried to better himself.

The barrister added: “If he refrains from taking drugs there is a positive future at 30 for this man.”

Sentencing, Judge Beverly Lunt said the offences were serious and the aggravating feature was that if it wasn’t serious enough that Fallon admitted he had been supplying heroin over eight weeks, he was found to be still dealing when police went round to his home.