Drunken rampage thug jailed

Jailed: Damien Geddes
Jailed: Damien Geddes
Share this article

A Nelson man has been jailed for eight months for his part in a drunken rampage in Nelson.

Damien Geddes (23), of Chapelhouse Road, admitted affray along with co-defendant Antonia Shepherd (22), of Highfield Crescent, Nelson, who received a six month sentence, suspended for one year and a 12-month supervision order.

Another defendant had already been dealt with at the youth court.

Geddes and Shepherd had been drinking in the Station Hotel, Nelson, when they decided to taxi to another pub, Burnley Crown Court heard.

Mr Robert Golinski (prosecuting) said the gang came across a 14-year-old boy who was chased by the group on his way home from school.

The boy was followed into a subway, verbally abused, pushed to the ground by Geddes and the youth, and punched and kicked. Shepherd did not take part. The schoolboy was left with a bleeding nose and lip and with redness to his face.

Mr Golinski said the group then ran off and four got into a taxi at a rank adjacent to Nelson bus station.

But after the driver had his hair pulled from a passenger in the rear seats and was racially abused, he said he was not taking the group anywhere.

The four then got out as the bus station manager came out to the rank to approach the group when he was then attacked.

Mr Golinski said Geddes, Shepherd and the youth punched and kicked the manager who lost his radio and phone in the attack and suffered a bleeding nose.

A man waiting for a bus who had seen the station manager attacked, tried to call the police. He was challenged by Geddes who got him in a headlock which the court heard left the man struggling for breath.

When the police arrived, Shepherd tried to protect the youth from arrest who ran off.

The actions of the group were caught on CCTV and at one point showed Geddes taking his shirt off during the attacks.

When questioned by police, Shepherd, who had no previous convictions, accepted her presence at the scene but had little recollection of the events.

Geddes made no comment on arrest but had a prepared statement. Geddes has previous convictions for robbery, battery and criminal damage.

Mr Rick Holland (defending Geddes) said the defendant accepted that sort of behaviour “cannot be tolerated”.

Mr Holland said Geddes had no recollection of what took place and added that the defendant welcomed the structure that was about to be put on him.

Mr Kristian Cavanagh (defending Shepherd) said she was “disgusted” in the way she acted and was “full of remorse”.

Sentencing, Judge Beverly Lunt described the pair’s behaviour as “bizarre” and said both were “incredibly drunk”.