Fans in court after Miners’ club fracas

Burnley Miners Club, Plumb Street in Burnley.'Photo Ben Parsons
Burnley Miners Club, Plumb Street in Burnley.'Photo Ben Parsons

Football fans accused of violent disorder in a mass brawl which erupted at a Burnley social club after a Clarets game, have appeared in court.

They have appeared in two separate hearings at Burnley Magistrates’ Court charged with using or threatening unlawful violence in the major fracas at Burnley Miners’ Club, believed to have involved up to 60 people, after Burnley’s Championship clash with Sheffield Wednesday in January.

Appearing at one hearing were Jordan Burnley (21) and Stephen Burnley (49), both of Emily Street; Mark Butler (23), of Deerpark Road; Michael Leslie Harrison (43), of Brunshaw Road; Tony Holgate (42), of Tabor Street; Andrew Rigg (50), of Paythorne Avenue and Nicholas Paul Speak (35), of Holly Street, Burnley.

Philip Zack Palmer (29), of Langdale Road, Padiham; Andrew Hardman (31), of Fairfield Avenue, Rossendale; Stephen Peter Rimmer (54), of Gale Street, Rochdale; Timothy Wilkinson (63), of Sowclough Road, Stacksteads, and a 16-year-old boy from Barrowford also appeared.

Magistrates granted them bail but imposed conditions that the defendants must not enter licensed premises specified on a map four hours before or after a Burnley game at Turf Moor. They must not enter Turf Moor or attend any away fixtures where Burnley are playing.

The hearing was adjourned and the defendants will appear before Burnley Crown Court on April 28th.

In another hearing Gareth Bromley (37), of Weldon Street; Anthony Walter Speak (33), of Lower Tentre; Ian Michael Spencer (52), of Wren Street; Lee Tattersall (43), of Bluebell Grove; Christopher Ashton (18), of Garsdale Avenue; Alexander Dean (23), of Mary Towneley Fold, Jordan Hosker (26), of Morse Street, all Burnley, and Paul Christopher Higginson (38), Lawrence Street, Padiham; Simon Massey (49), Avondale Road, Nelson; and Gavin Ellacott (21), of Burnley Road, Colne, appeared.

They men were bailed pending a hearing at Burnley Crown Court on May 12th. They must not enter Burnley Miners’ Club or go within a specified area around Turf Moor four hours before or after a Burnley FC match. They must not go within five miles of an away game stadium where Burnley are playing four hours before or after the match. They have also been banned from attending any football grounds in the UK as well as England matches during the legal proceedings.

The defendants must not travel on the national rail network on match days involving Burnley or England.