Jail for Nelson dad who terrorised his ex

editorial image

A FATHER of two who terrorised his ex-partner in a campaign of threats has been locked up for two years.

Burnley Crown Court heard how Kamran Rafiq was also aggressive and abusive to a social worker, who would say there was “venom” in the defendant’s voice, on the phone.

Rafiq bombarded Katherine Todd with texts and phone calls, many of them while a police officer was at her home and even sent threatening letters when he was in prison on remand. The defendant told Ms Todd, who he had had a relationship with for more than 18 years, he would hammer her and leave her brain dead and would rip her head off. He continued: “I don’t mean that in a joking way, but in a serious way.”

The hearing was told how the defendant had previously been sentenced for pressing a knife against parts of Ms Todd’s body and face and threatening to kill her. He was said to have held the knife above her head while chanting prayers.

Rafiq also removed all the fixtures and fitting from the family home he jointly owned with the victim, during the campaign, leaving a scene of “mass destruction.”

The defendant (37), of Every Street, Nelson, admitted three counts of harassment. Rafiq, who has 18 previous convictions, was also given a restraining order to keep him away from Ms Todd and stop him from contacting her, except through solicitors, over the children.

Miss Mercedeh Jabbari (prosecuting) said a police officer was with the victim and the defendant made 36 calls to her in an hour and a half. He then made eight more in the following two hours.

The later calls were answered by the officer, Rafiq was aggressive and the officer told him to hand himself in. The defendant said he would, but didn’t.

Miss Jabbari said Rafiq was arrested, interviewed and made no comment. He was remanded in custody, then bailed and committed the second harassment offence, when he “turned over” the house.

He was arrested and questioned again and told police: “They started the battle and I will finish the war. I’m not scared of prison. I love it.”

The prosecutor said the defendant was remanded in custody and then sent letters to Ms Todd, threatening violence.

Mr Gerard Doran, for Rafiq, said he had been fearful Ms Todd would stop him seeing the children. The barrister added: “He maintains, however, he would not or certainly didn’t intend to carry out any threat.”

Sentencing, Judge Beverley Lunt told Rafiq even being in custody had not stopped him harassing the victim. She said: “There is nothing that deters you. There is no question but that your behaviour will have had a traumatic effect upon her.”