Nelson teen jailed after ‘mistaken identity’ terror attack outside nursery

Shahid Ansar
Shahid Ansar

One of three “yobs” involved in a terror attack on a man waiting in a car for his nieces outside a Nelson nursery school is behind bars.

Burnley Crown Court heard how the trio may have got the wrong man and Rakhsar Ahmed might have been mistaken for his brother. Shahid Hussain Ansar’s family was in a feud with the victim’s family, but his accomplice Shujaht Khan had nothing to do with any of it.

Mr Ahmed was subjected to a frightening ordeal, as the driver’s window was smashed and he started to bleed from the head. The passenger side window was then broken with a baton. Ansar was standing behind the man, also had a baton and the victim knew him from a gym. The incident was witnessed by a shocked mum from the school, who saw three men armed with weapons set about the BMW Mr Ahmed was driving. The BMW smashed into her car as the victim reversed to get away.

The hearing was told police later found a car with shards of glass and broken hockey sticks in it. Ansar and Khan were arrested and while Ansar was on bail, he came across Mr Ahmed six months later and told him: “You are dead.”

Khan (19) and Ansar (20), both from St Paul’s Road, Nelson, admitted affray last March. Ansar, who has been living in Leicester, was sent to a young offenders’ institution for 15 months. He also admitted using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour. Khan was given 12 months in prison, suspended for a year, with 150 hours unpaid work. Both have records.

Sentencing, Judge Beverly Lunt said the incident had not only been disgraceful and unlawful, but “plainly terrifying” for Mr Ahmed. She added: “It can’t be spur of the moment if people are wielding batons and hockey sticks.”

Mr Mark Lamberty (prosecuting) said Mr Ahmed’s attackers gestured to him to get out of the car, but his engine was running and he drove off.

The mother, who had just picked up her little boy, saw the BMW driven by Mr Ahmed and three men running towards it and striking it. One of the weapons split and fragments of a hockey stick were later found by police in the road.

Mr Lamberty said as Mr Ahmed drove in Carr Road, he saw his attackers get into a Vauxhall Vectra in a back street. Police were called. Inquiries led officers to the car, which had shards of glass and broken hockey sticks in it. The defendants were arrested and Mr Ahmed, who had suffered cuts to his temple and ear, was taken to hospital.

Ansar’s barrister told the hearing he wanted to apologise to the victim. He had got work and kept out of trouble. The feud had come to an end.

Miss Laura Barbour, for Khan, said he was hoping to go to university. She added: “The man who committed this offence is not the type of man the defendant wants to be.”