Pendle man jailed for double attack on own mother

Jonathan Procter
Jonathan Procter

A Pendle man has been jailed for 12 months after what the judge sentencing him described as “unprovoked” attack on his own mother.

Jonathan Procter (26), of no fixed address, attacked his mother twice in March this year and was sent to prison for assault causing actual bodily harm.

David Macro (prosecuting) said on the night of the first attack Procter was at his brother’s house in Bracewell Street, Barnoldswick, and had been drinking.

His mother came around at around 8pm and Procter began verbally abusing her, Mr Macro told Burnley Crown Court, before he punched her in the arm while she was sat in a chair and then got her arm in an arm lock behind her back. She called out for his brother and he intervened.

After his brother had left the house, Mr Macro said Procter started punching his mother “really hard” on her arms.

As she pushed him away, Procter fell to the floor and she sat on him “to stop further attacking” said Mr Macro, but Procter bit her finger causing it to bleed.

His brother intervened again and the police were called. In interview, Mr Macro said Procter said his mother had been attacking him and he was acting in self defence.

He was charged and pleaded not guilty at Magistrates Court and was bailed.

The second offence occurred at his mother’s house in Lonsdale Street, Nelson. Mr Macro said Procter had been drinking heavily and punched his mother hard on her left arm and also her leg.

He also twisted her arm. Mr Macro said Procter’s mother had “really bad bruises all over her body”.

Robert Elias (defending) described it as a “tragic” and “serious state of affairs” and added Procter accepted he would be getting a custodial sentence.

Mr Elias asked the judge to factor in Procter’s age and the fact he is still in contact with his mother.

Recorder Simon Medland QC said Procter’s actions had left his mother with “multiple” bruises on her arms and legs. He added that Procter had refused to engage with the probation service and had refused to acknowledge his mother was the victim.