Equipment seized after noise complaints

Nelson Town Hall.
Nelson Town Hall.

Noisy Nelson residents have had stereo equipment and TVs removed from their home by Pendle Council’s Noise Nuisance officers.

Police joined the council officers as they visited the property in Castle Street on Monday morning.

It followed complaints from neighbours about loud music and loud singing as a daily occurrence.

Two large televisions, a DVD player, a set of speakers and a karaoke system were seized.

The council has the legal powers to take items that are being used to cause the noise nuisance under the Noise Act.

Following an initial complaint from neighbours, evidence was gathered via the Night Time Noise Service, a partnership between Pendle Council and four other East Lancashire councils.

An environmental health officer who went out to the property to witness the noise said that the noise nuisance was one of the worst he had ever experienced.

A Noise Abatement Notice was served on the occupants of the house in Castle Street on October 14th, but still the noise continued.

This resulted in the equipment seizure, as the Environmental Protection Act allows.

Coun. David Clegg, who represents the council’s environmental health department, said: “Noise nuisance impacts on all aspects of our quality of life causing stress and anxiety. Cases like this highlight the powers that councils have under the Environmental Protection Act to address problems caused by noisy neighbours.

“Residents at this property had ignored warnings that they would have their equipment seized if they did not turn the noise down.

“Since they were not in when our Noise Nuisance officers visited, the police helped us get into the property. This has caused the residents of the property additional inconvenience since they had to collect new keys to their home from the police station. Hopefully they’ll think twice about turning up the volume again.

“No one should have to put up with noisy neighbours. If you’re having problems with yours, you can get help by calling us on 661199.”