Family flee Nelson house fire

Latest news
Latest news
Share this article

A Nelson family escaped unhurt after a fire at their home in Dalton Street.

An upstairs bedroom was left severely damaged by the blaze which started at approximately 6-30pm yesterday.

Two fire crews from Nelson attended the incident and found the bedroom well alight on arrival.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the flames with hose reel jets and ventilation units were also used to clear smoke.

The occupants were out of the house when firefighters arrived after a smoke alarm alerted them to the fire. It is thought that a light fitting caused the blaze.

Watch manager Clare Dutton said: “The public are advised to ensure that they regularly check their smoke alarm is working correctly, in order to ensure that they get early warning of a fire and are then able to safely evacuate the building.”