Foulridge flooding causes traffic chaos

FLOODING: Foulridge on Friday (S)
FLOODING: Foulridge on Friday (S)

While Colne and its surrounding villages escaped the worst of a devastating UK storm, it did suffer from torrential rain over the weekend.

Many streets, including Harrison Drive and Burrell Avenue, were reported to be affected by the adverse weather, while Foulridge faced major traffic delays.

The horrendous conditions came as commuters and residents up and down the country prepared to be battered by the most severe storm in a decade. Named St Jude, it was said to be particularly treachorous in the south of England, with winds of up to 93mph.

For Colne resident Sarah Watson (28), the Foulridge flooding on Friday was the worst she has ever seen in the area – causing traffic to tailback into Earby between 5pm and 6pm.

The mother-of-two, of Bath Street, said: “The water was coming over the kerb, and you couldn’t see the road. It took me an hour going from Foulridge, through to Colne, back through to Earby.

“Drivers were trying to go one by one through the flooding. It was scary because you didn’t know if you were going to get through it, and it was thunder and lightning as well. The water came up to people’s number plates.”

Lancashire Fire and Rescue reported that they had been out inspecting various incidents in Colne, but added that there had been nothing major for them to deal with.

And Asda, in Corporation Street, confirmed that they had been affected by the heavy rainfall.

While the store did not have to close, the entrance and the back of the supermarket did suffer from a leak.

Speaking on Monday, store manager Mark Coleman said: “The store is currently going through repairs to stop any leaks and these were due to be completed at the end of this week.

“Unfortunately they couldn’t be completed in time for this weekend’s storm.

“I’d like to thank customers for their understanding while we dealt with the leak and I’d also like to thank our colleagues who acted swiftly to make sure that customers could still complete their weekly shop.”