Garage badly damaged in fire

Nelson Fire Engine
Nelson Fire Engine

Fire crews from both Nelson and Burnley went to deal with a blaze at a house on Queensgate in Nelson on Thursday last week at around 3-30pm.

The fire involving the electricity supply and distribution board was within the garage attached to the property itself.

It spread to the main gas meter and the associated pipe, contents of the garage and a can of petrol.

A fire engine from Nelson and another from the Burnley station went there and the crews dealt with it.

Firefighter Dean Bradshaw from Nelson Fire Station explained: “Electricity North-West attended and isolated mains supply.

“The garage of the property affected was severely damaged by fire and the remainder of the property was lightly smoke logged.”

Firefighters also had to force entry to a property next door as it was initially believed that the occupier was inside, and this property was heavily smoke logged.

Mr Bradshaw said: “We would like to remind landlords of privately-rented properties that it is their responsibility to have the electricity and gas checks carried out on an annual basis.

“Smoke alarms save lives. You are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got one. A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you and your family precious time to escape.”

For a free Home Fire Safety Check, advice and smoke alarm test or replacement, you can visit:

Or alternatively you can make a phone call to 0800 1691125.