Gas leak in Blackburn town centre leads to evacuations and road closures

Part of Blackburn town centre has been cordoned off after a gas leak

Saturday, 13th March 2021, 4:18 pm
Updated Saturday, 13th March 2021, 4:22 pm
Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service

At 10:49am today (Saturday), two fire engines from Blackburn attended an incident on Richmond Terrace.

The fire involved an electrical cable under the pavement which was extinguished by fire service personnel.

A small number of homes around the area were evacuated initially while Cadent Gas investigated.

The danger area has now been extended.

Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Cadent Gas have confirmed there is a mains gas leak which has been temporarily repaired whilst Electricity North West repair the electrical cables.

"The cordon around the incident has been extended by 100m whilst repairs take place."