Heroin overdose kills Nelson mum (27)

editorial image
Share this article

A YOUNG mother who was found dead in her new home died from an accidental heroin overdose, an inquest heard.

Rachel Johnson (27) had moved from Peterborough to a house in Rakes House Road, Nelson, with her partner, Robert White, to try to kick her drug habit.

But on the evening of November 24th - the couple’s first night in the property - they had taken heroin which had been bought earlier that evening.

Burnley Coroner’s Court heard Miss Johnson had allegedly smoked and injected the substance and the next morning was Mr White found her unresponsive. Paramedics were called to the scene at 7-15 a.m. but Miss Johnson was pronounced dead on their arrival.

Samantha Morsley, one of the paramedics who attended, told the inquest Mr White answered the door and told her he had just woken up and thought Miss Johnson was dead. He told her his girlfriend had taken heroin the previous evening but no more than usual.

Toxicology reports showed there was 972 grams of morphine in her system.

Pathologist Dr Zuhair Twaij, who carred out the post mortem examination, said he found what appeared to be two needle marks in her inner thigh, as well as a large quantity of morphine in her blood and a small amount of diazepam.

East Lancashire Coroner Richard Taylor recorded a verdict of accidental death. He said: “It appears she has taken drugs willingly. It doesn’t appear it was an unwilling act. What I’m sure of is that by taking these drugs she would not have any idea it would have ended her life.”