Mum attacked by former friend in front of distressed child, court hears

Burnley Magistrates Court
Burnley Magistrates Court
Share this article

A Colne mum was attacked by her former friend, who grabbed her by her hair in the town centre after they fell out, a court heard.

Burnley magistrates were told the assault, on victim Maxine Rushton, by Yvonne Corbridge (48) took place in broad daylight, in front of victim Ms Rushton’s young child, as well as members of the public.

The bench heard the women ended up pulling each other’s hair until a passer-by stepped in and stopped the incident. Ms Rushton wasn’t injured, but her child was distraught at seeing their mum attacked.

Corbridge, of Langroyd Road, Colne, who works part-time, admitted common assault on September 14th. She was given a 12-month conditional discharge and was ordered to pay £50 compensation, £85 costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

Prosecutor Miss Parveen Akhtar told the hearing how after the assault, Ms Rushton’s child was clearly distressed. She continued: “Her child was clinging to her and was crying and very upset.”

Miss Akhtar said the victim had a sore head and told police nobody had the right to attack her, especially in front of her child. She said: “The victim says ‘I do feel sorry for my child who witnessed this incident. I feel humiliated I had to stoop to the defendant’s level in front of my child and the town centre’.”

The prosecutor said Corbridge had a record, but her last conviction for a similar matter was 16 years ago.

Mr Mark Williams, defending Corbridge, said there was a history behind the incident and both women would blame each other for the history.

The solicitor continued: “It’s quite clear they were friends. That friendship has broken down. There have been issues and a fairly substantial degree of animosity between the two parties since that time. She says she has been the subject of harassment and Facebook messages and the court should know about that.”

Mr Williams told the hearing: “She accepts her reaction to the situation was not that it should have been. She would say she had never wanted this to happen. Words were exchanged and it ended up with some hair pulling. No blows were struck and no weapon was used.”

The solicitor continued: “She took hold of the aggrieved’s hair, the aggrieved took hold of her hair and both say they didn’t want to let go. A member of the public came along, intervened and split them up. She concedes she was in the wrong and she does so at the first opportunity.”

Mr Williams added: “She is embarrassed about the whole situation.”